in short. Chocolate is toxic to dogs. While they love peanut butter and would gobble up peanut butter cups, they are not good for your dog.

Dogs are not allowed to be given chocolate in any form. A small amount will not kill a dog, but it is still bad for the dog’s health. It can cause heart failure in extreme cases if it makes their heart rate speed up dramatically.

A lot of differences can be made by the amount of chocolate and the strength of the chocolate. The size of the dog makes a difference in the amount of chocolate that is dangerous. Dogs shouldn’t be given chocolate in any form, or amount, according to most veterinarians.

Can dogs eat Reese’s peanut butter cups?

Dogs are capable of eating Reese’s Peanut Butter cups if they are given the chance. They shouldn’t eat them because chocolate is toxic to dogs. Dark chocolate is not as bad as milk chocolate would be in these cups. A single cup of chocolate is not likely to kill your dog, but it will make her sick. Coffee and chocolate have the same amount of caffeine, so it’s bad for your dog as well. Theo bromine is more harmful to your dog than either of the other two.

Too much coffee can be harmful, but too little is seen as a good thing. Even a small amount of theobromine for dogs is not a good thing. The substance is many times worse than a cup of coffee in humans. It’s more harmful to dogs than it is to humans due to the fact that they don’t metabolize theobromine as humans do.

The dog has the ability to re-absorb theobromine. It stays in the bloodstream for a long time and is toxic to dogs, but there are other reasons that a chocolate peanut butter cup is bad for dogs.

If your pet gets sick from chocolate, the fat and sugar will make them feel worse and make it harder to digest. There is nothing good for your dog in a chocolate peanut butter cup.

Milk chocolate in Reese’s Peanut Butter cups will make your dog sick but it is not likely to be fatal. Theo bromine is found in milk chocolate at a rate of about 50mg per ounce. If you eat a lot of gourmet dark chocolate it can be fatal. An ounce of dark chocolate would be very dangerous for a 50-pound dog, and it would take several ounces of milk chocolate to make that dog very sick. The size of the dog should be taken into account. A 10-pound toy breed would get sick on a small amount of chocolate, but a 100-pound giant dog wouldn’t get sick from a large amount.

What happens if my dog eats Reese’s peanut butter cups?

There is a chance that your dog will become ill if she eats Reese’s peanut butter cups. Symptoms may take several hours to start and may last for days. If you only ate one chocolate, you may not need to get medical care.

The most common symptoms of chocolate poisoning:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • excessive thirst and excessive urination
  • panting
  • restlessness
  • racing heart rate

In extreme cases, your dog could start to have more serious symptoms:

  • muscle tremors,
  • seizures,
  • heart failure.
  • Dogs can also develop pneumonia from excessive coughing brought on by chocolate poisoning.

Even with a small amount of chocolate, your dog is likely to have some digestive problems. Diarrhea and or vomiting are very likely to happen. If they have not eaten a lot, that may be all that will happen to them, other than some discomfort they may feel.

If that is all that happens, your dog is lucky. Even then, the dog probably had an elevated heart rate, which was not good for the animal. There can be long-term health effects that will ultimately shorten the life of your pet.

If they have eaten strong chocolate or a large amount, they may start to have more serious symptoms, such as seizures. Theobromine can also be re-absorbed from the bladder and essentially give them a double dose of the toxic substance they have ingested.

The amount of poison in their system – the theobromine — essentially increases as it stays in the body, making fast treatment even more important.  It remains in the bloodstream for a long time and that is why symptoms can continue for days when there has been a lot of chocolate eaten.

Confusing carob

There is a substance called “carob” that looks like chocolate but is not. Carob may be used as a substitute for chocolate in specialty or gourmet dog treat makers. It is a good idea to make sure your dog has eaten chocolate and not carob, but at the same time, being cautious about his health is a good idea. Some treat makers use white chocolate or small amounts of milk chocolate in their products, and that is safe for most dogs. Most veterinarians do not recommend giving dogs chocolate in any form.

Categories: Blogs

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *