Oh my goodness gracious, have you ever had the pleasure of sinking your teeth into the delectable goodness that is Goldfish crackers? It’s like a burst of cheesy, crispy heaven in your mouth, and the fact that they’re shaped like cute little fish just adds to the appeal! I mean, who wouldn’t absolutely adore this perfect snack?

But wait just a moment, my dear friend, let us not forget about our furry companions. You see, while we humans can indulge in these scrumptious little treats without a care in the world, what about our beloved canine pals? Sure, they may have snatched a cracker or two in the past, or maybe they’ve even gone all out and devoured an entire bag in one sitting. But the question remains: is it actually safe for them to consume these delightful crackers?

So, Can Dogs Eat Goldfish Crackers?

The question of whether dogs should be allowed to indulge in the delectable taste of goldfish crackers is one that has caused a great deal of debate and confusion among pet owners. While many humans find these crackers to be delicious and satisfying snacks, the same cannot be said for our furry companions.

Not only are goldfish crackers unsafe for dogs to consume, but they can also be detrimental to their overall health and well-being. The ingredient list on the packaging reveals that these crackers contain onion powder and various other generic spices, such as garlic, in small amounts. While these may seem harmless to humans, they are actually toxic ingredients for dogs and can cause serious health issues.

Thus, it is imperative that dogs are not allowed to eat goldfish crackers under any circumstances. Even if your furry friend accidentally ingests a few of these crackers, it is crucial that you monitor their condition closely and seek medical attention immediately if they display any symptoms of food poisoning.

Goldfish Crackers


Which Ingredients in Goldfish Crackers Are Toxic For Dogs?

When it comes to feeding your furry companion, it’s important to pay close attention to the ingredients in their food and treats. This is especially true when it comes to popular snacks like Goldfish crackers.


Bafflingly enough, the mere presence of any form of onions – be it raw, powdered, dehydrated, or cooked – in the proximity of our beloved canine companions could bring about grave consequences. These seemingly harmless vegetables are capable of inflicting damage to the red blood cells of dogs, potentially triggering a debilitating case of anemia. To make matters worse, even something as innocuous as Goldfish crackers could lead to poisoning in dogs, courtesy of the insidious onion powder lurking within.

As it turns out, every single part of the onion plant, from the flesh to the leaves, juice, and even processed powder, poses a toxic threat to our furry friends. It’s worth noting that only a measly one hundred grams of a medium-sized onion per 40 pounds of a dog’s weight is all it takes for the harmful effects to take hold. What’s even more disconcerting is that the onion powder present in Goldfish crackers is even more treacherous than fresh onions. It’s safe to say that most dogs wouldn’t think twice before devouring a bowl of unattended Goldfish crackers, so it’s imperative to keep them well out of reach.

Symptoms of Onion Poisoning

In the event that you harbor suspicions about your canine companion having consumed an excessive amount of Goldfish crackers, be on the lookout for the following tell-tale signs:

  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Pale gums
  • Fainting
  • Decreased appetite
  • Urine that appears to contain blood

It’s crucial to take these symptoms seriously and seek prompt medical attention for your dog. Do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary clinic for assistance.

According to the ASPCA, an elevated or irregular heart rate, as well as panting and vomiting, may also indicate onion toxicity in dogs. If you observe any of these symptoms in your pet, it’s crucial to contact your veterinarian immediately. The vet can perform blood tests to diagnose your dog’s condition accurately and provide appropriate treatment.


The perils of salt are not just limited to humans, but also to man’s best friend. It’s important to note that goldfish crackers, a popular snack among both adults and kids alike, are extremely high in sodium. In fact, each serving contains an astonishing 250 milligrams of the mineral. Even though your furry friend may not be capable of scarfing down 55 crackers at one go, the accumulation of salt from these petite fish can be detrimental to their health.

Excessive consumption of salt can prove to be toxic for dogs, and it’s critical that you never share any salt-based food item with your four-legged pal, be it goldfish crackers, pretzels, or any other similar snacks. Ingesting such foods can result in dehydration and make them ill, and they could also experience sodium ion poisoning.

Some symptoms of salt overdose in dogs are diarrhea, vomiting, depression, fevers, tremors, seizures, disorientation, swelling, dehydration, and increased thirst. If your dog exhibits any of these signs, it’s advisable to seek immediate veterinary care and assistance.


The alluring aroma of roasted garlic in goldfish crackers might be tempting for dogs to indulge in. Goldfish snacks have garnered a massive following globally and have become a staple treat in America. Moreover, there is scientific evidence that garlic can be beneficial for human health. Thus, it’s understandable why some might assume that their furry companions could partake in it too.

However, the reality is that dogs cannot eat goldfish crackers. Garlic, a commonly used flavor enhancer in crackers, is toxic for dogs. Although garlic has numerous health benefits for humans, dogs don’t metabolize food the same way as humans. Garlic and other spices from the allium family contain thiosulfate, which is like poison for dogs.

When dogs consume thiosulfate, it causes hemolytic anemia by damaging red blood cells. The symptoms of garlic poisoning in dogs include jaundice, weakness, anemia, dark-colored urine, pale mucous membranes, rapid and shallow breathing, weakness, and lethargy.

Garlic toxicity can also disrupt your dog’s gastrointestinal system, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, loss of appetite, and depression.

Consuming around 15 to 30 grams of garlic per two pounds of a dog’s body weight can result in harmful effects. Additionally, garlic powder is more harmful to dogs than fresh garlic. Furthermore, some dog breeds may have a higher sensitivity to garlic than others.

Can dogs eat Goldfish crackers? While a small amount may not cause much harm, consuming the entire bag can be dangerous for your furry friend.

My Dog Consumed All of the Goldfish Crackers – Now What?

If your dog has consumed too many Goldfish crackers, the first step is to give them plenty of water to flush out the toxic ingredients from their system as quickly as possible. You should also check for any symptoms of toxicity mentioned earlier. If your furry companion exhibits any of these signs, it’s crucial to contact a veterinarian immediately.

How to Treat Toxicity

In the event that your beloved furry friend has ingested something toxic, you can rely on the expertise of veterinarians to deploy a variety of interventions aimed at reversing the harmful effects of the poison and promoting recovery. The bewildering array of treatment options available to veterinary practitioners may leave you feeling overwhelmed and befuddled, but fear not! Rest assured that these medical professionals are equipped to handle the complexities of pet poisoning with deftness and dexterity.

One possible intervention that may be employed by veterinarians is the induction of emesis or the act of inducing vomiting in your dog in order to expel any harmful substances from its digestive system. Additionally, your dog’s stomach may be lavaged, a process that involves flushing the stomach with fluids in order to remove any residual toxins that may still be present.

In some cases, veterinarians may choose to administer activated charcoal to your pet. This substance has the capacity to absorb toxins from your dog’s gastrointestinal tract, which can help to mitigate the effects of the poison. Additionally, your veterinarian may administer intravenous (IV) fluids to your pet in order to flush their bloodstream and maintain their hydration levels at an optimal level. Following this, your pet will be closely monitored until its body begins to produce healthy red blood cells once again.

In particularly severe cases of poisoning, your pet may require a blood transfusion and supplemental oxygen in order to survive. While this may sound daunting, rest assured that veterinary professionals are well-equipped to handle even the direst of situations.

Final Thoughts

It is not recommended to feed goldfish crackers to your furry four-legged friend. These crackers contain certain ingredients that can be extremely hazardous for dogs. Although consuming a few goldfish crackers may not cause any significant harm, it is still best to avoid feeding them to your pet.

If your dog happens to ingest goldfish crackers and starts displaying any signs of illness or garlic toxicity, seek immediate veterinary attention. To prevent any potential dangers, make sure to keep goldfish crackers and other harmful human foods out of your pet’s reach.



Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *